Northill folding anchor: a piece of history that still serves well aboard many craft

by Tim on January 5, 2010

Bob over at Boat Bits tells of his satisfaction with the Northill folding anchor:

Sadly, these are no longer made anymore, but if you ever come across one at a nautical flea market my advice is snap it up as they are one of the best anchors ever made!

The Northill broke the mold as the first anchor that used clever design in place of brute weight.

See, the Northill folding anchor was originally designed as a lightweight anchor for seaplanes, where weight reduction is even more critical than it is aboard small boats.

northill-ad-1941flightmagFollowing up on Bob’s piece, I spotted an interesting anchor website that appears to be a “labor of love” on the part of a recreational mariner named Richard. The images above are from his page about the Northill, where he also has a reproduction of an old advertisement from a 1940 issue of Flight magazine.

Richard’s Anchors R Us page, which does not sell anchors at all, appears to be a valuable resource for those trying to select an anchor.

Or even for those of us who just want to learn more about old anchors like the Northill.

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

Hector Tan January 6, 2010 at 12:39 am

My Uncle found this kind of anchor way back 1960′ or 1950′ in Tago Surigao del Sur Philippines exactly the same the design the patent # 21,841. My mother told me that they kept this anchor for almost 50 years. Sir my question is how much is the Cost of this anchor if i will SELL it today… Hope you can give me the information.

Please reply..

Tim Flanagan, Managing Editor January 6, 2010 at 11:54 am

Sorry, I have no idea. The conventional wisdom nowadays is that this is an “obsolete” design, so demand may be low. On the other hand, Bob of Boat Bits may not be alone in his fondness for the design. So perhaps you could find a buyer.

For my own part, I would consider this anchor (along with the Fortress) as potentially an excellent secondary, easily stowed away until needed, fairly easy to load into the dinghy to row it out astern, etc.

Hector Tan January 6, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Thanks a lot Mr. Tim for the information. Mr. Tim how can I connect or contact to this Bob of Boats Bits? I really want to sell this anchor so that it can help us financially.

Randall June 26, 2012 at 1:43 am

I happen to have a North Hill folding anchor. Know of anybody looking for one? Seen article by Tim Jan 5 2010

Mark Theobald November 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm

My friend’s uncle, John Northrop, designed that anchor. I’d love to consider buying it to share with him.

Bob Daniel November 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm

i would like to buy it

G.K.P July 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I have a Northill Anchor which is redundant since I now have a much bigger boat.

Certainly interested in selling or trade.

Location, Victoria BC Canada

Ian September 12, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Please contact me if you still have that anchor.

Bob Daniel November 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I am intterested in buying a north hill anchor ppleease send details

dennis stout October 5, 2013 at 2:02 am

I have a north hill anchor pat#21841 . If you are still interested let me know.

bill January 25, 2013 at 3:09 am

I have a northill anchor patent 21841 it is
Type 8R . The patent was applied for 1933
And issued in 1941. It also has a number
2015827 on it. It is a cast iron . I am asking

David February 16, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I have one of these anchors for sale for $ 300.00.
If anyone is interested I’m in the Port of Los Angeles now and can possibly transport it Portland, OR. the end of March, 2013. You can email me and I will give a phone number we can speak directly. I’ll answer any questions I can.

scott February 22, 2013 at 2:55 am

I have a northill for sale. Im in ct. I have had it since 1983 and it worked great on my 42′ Chris but now the boat is gone and the anchor can go also. E-me and make offer. Im in CT

jimmy March 20, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I have a folding stainleess steel Northill for sale. Located in London Ontario. About 35 lbs doesn’t look like it wad ever used. Offers?

scott April 21, 2013 at 7:38 pm

35lb Northill for sale $250 located in ct.

divebaumer April 23, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I have a stainless folding Northhill anchor for sale open to
offers will send pics upon request

divebaumer April 23, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I have a stainless folding Northhill anchor for sale open to
offers will send pics upon request

Located in Los Angeles Ca area

Jorge April 24, 2013 at 3:32 am

Hello I have one for sale in key west florida

Ed Burdick May 8, 2013 at 11:59 pm

I have a folding stainless Northills anchor for sale or trade…can send pics if interested.

eric March 2, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I have a folding stainless Northill anchor forsale in West Palm Beach, Florida. Price $200

Jerry May 29, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Am interested. What is the size, weight and condition

Andrew February 2, 2015 at 9:26 pm

I found and old folding stainless steel Northhill anchor under a coral head when I was scuba diving in hawaii. Its a little rusty but still in working condition. Let me know if anyones interested.

Bruce Malcolm May 21, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I am interested in this if it is still available I Work for the current day Air Cruisers Co

Bill Morris May 27, 2015 at 5:33 pm

One came with a Catalina 30 I bought about 25 years ago. I just loved the way it looked, but I have never used it. I may try it this summer.

Rick Colvin August 1, 2015 at 7:16 pm

I have a 7# folding cast iron Northill anchor for sale. pat#21841. I am asking $175.00 for it. Picture available. It will be up on ebay and CrriagsList soon. To find it easily go to my website and click on the ebay or CraigList logo to go directly to my listings. The anchor is located in Vancouver WA (Just across the Columbia river from Portland OR)